Saturday, January 11, 2014

Printing Tea Towels!

This is kind of a last minute project I came up with for Christmas gifts.  I've done a little bit of fabric printing before so I decided to make tea towels out of 100% linen for my family and friends.  I'm not sure how useful they are, maybe it needs a little fine tuning. They did turn out pretty, I think anyway, so maybe next time I'll find different fabric. 

The first thing I did was come up with a design.  I light bulb went on in my head when I was decorating my grandparents Christmas tree.  It's covered in handmade beaded ornaments made by my great grandma.  I love their vintage look, and I love how they sparkle on the tree! So I used that as my inspiration.  I would like to do more with this possibly if I can make the time!

One of Great Grandma's Ornaments

Next, I photo copied the design from my printer, rubbed it on to my vinyl block and carved it out.  Then I got out my screen printing ink, rolled it on and started printing.  That's the basics, but it's not as easy as it sounds. 

Stack of Finished Tea Towels



I finished them with mitered corners.  I found a good tutorial here!
Most of the towels looked like the ones below with one repeat in the middle.



No comments:

Post a Comment